26 December 2007

How bored am I, trapped at my parents' house the day after Xmas?

So bored that I sat down and worked out the Passiondex score for every film in this year's indieWire poll that was ranked #1 by at least one critic*. To quote Jim Hoberman, its creator (I believe): "The Passiondex© is derived by dividing a film's total points by the number of its voters and then multiplying this average by the percentage of those voters who ranked it first. Measuring the intensity with which critics championed a particular film, the Passiondex© distinguishes between those movies that have real partisans and those that are consensus choices typically filling out the lower slots in a critic's list." Not sure why indieWire ignored it this year, but any ennui-wracked fool with a calculator can easily work it out, and I am that ennui-wracked fool.

3.84 Killer of Sheep
3.58 There Will Be Blood
3.34 Into the Wild
3.15 The Lives of Others
2.22 No Country for Old Men
2.21 Michael Clayton
2.16 The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
2.10 The Darjeeling Limited
1.87 Zodiac
1.77 Colossal Youth
1.76 Bamako
1.70 The Wayward Cloud
1.62 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days
1.32 Once
1.17 Southland Tales
1.15 I'm Not There
1.14 Syndromes and a Century
0.94 Death Proof
0.92 Lady Chatterley
0.89 Atonement
0.78 Black Book
0.69 Ratatouille
0.46 The Host
0.42 Offside

* (I'm not counting Black Friday and Two Wrenching Departures, which both received only a single #1 vote and thus each had a perfect Passiondex score of 15.)

ADDENDUM: The ten highest-ranked films that were nobody's #1

1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2. Eastern Promises
3. I Don't Want to Sleep Alone
4. Regular Lovers
5. Persepolis
6. 12:08 East of Bucharest
7. Away From Her
8. Private Fears in Public Places
9. Grindhouse
10. Rescue Dawn

1 comment:

Y Kant Goran Rite said...

I was sure the Romanian abortion drama would do much better than it has at these things. Certainly better than Michael Clayton - what happened there?

And much as I enjoyed Zodiac, the passion confuses me. So much of it was conventional.

And then there's Once. I won't claim to understand the appeal of that thing.

On the other hand, it gives me a warm feeling to see Black Book, The Host and Offside each pop up, even if they ought to be higher.