05 February 2018

Skandies: #13


Picture: Faces Places (79/7)
Director: S. Craig Zahler, Brawl in Cell Block 99 (66/7)
Actress: Brooklynn Kimberly Prince, The Florida Project (74/10)
Actor: Hiroshi Abe, After the Storm (73/7)
S. Actor: Ben Stiller, The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) (55/6)
S. Actress: Tatiana Maslany, Stronger (71/5)
Screenplay: Bertrand Bonello, Nocturama (66/7)
Scene: Piano duet, The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) (49/4)



HISTORY:

Zahler didn't make the cut for Bone Tomahawk (though I personally think it's the better-directed film).

Stiller's sole previous appearance was also in one of Baumbach's films: He placed 9th for Greenberg (2010). Everyone else is new.

Bonello's screenplay for House of Pleasures placed 9th in 2011. Saint Laurent's script was (justly) ignored.

10 comments:

Private Joker said...

So this explains why my Supp. Actress field was limited -- I gave Maslany points in lead. Guess I still don't get how people distinguish between the categories (there's an argument for Dafoe as a lead too).

Scott Tobias said...

Really surprised the "Genius Girl" duet didn't land higher, given how many points I allotted for it. Now a bit paranoid I forgot a bunch of amazing scenes.

md'a said...

Nothing this year surprised me as much as mine being the one and only vote for Reynolds Woodcock ordering breakfast, a scene I'd expected in the top 10 if not the top 5.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Glad to see Zahler getting some love. I know he's only got two features under his belt, but I feel like with BONE TOMAHAWK and BRAWL IN CELL BLOCK 99, he's proven himself to be a master of pacing. Both films are a little over two hours long, and somehow they each both feel and don't feel that long. Bad explanation, but I can't think of a better way to put it. Unhurried yet efficient, maybe.

Private Joker said...

Mike -- I think there's a stronger scene in PT and for those of us who only ballot one scene per film. that's probably why breakfast didn't make it.

md'a said...

There's no reason to restrict yourself to one scene per film. I hereby discourage that.

Alex said...

Hopefully there will be ten awesome scenes from AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR!

Private Joker said...

But when you have 25 great scenes to choose from, that's a helpful heuristic to narrow down IMO... otherwise yes, theoretically I could see having 3-4 from the same film if it came down that way.

Jeff said...

> Hopefully there will be ten awesome scenes
> from AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR!

This is quite likely.