30 January 2017

Skandies: #20



[For those of you new to the Skandies, below is what placed 20th in each of these categories. Tomorrow all the #19s will be unveiled, then #18 the next day, etc. If you just want to know who won, check back here in 20 days.]

Picture: Knight of Cups (56/4)
Director: Yorgos Lanthimos, The Lobster (50/4)
Actress: Krisha Fairchild, Krisha (46/5)
Actor: John Hawkes, Too Late (35/2)
S. Actor: Teruyuki Kagawa, Creepy (46/6)
S. Actress: Rima Te Wiata, Hunt for the Wilderpeople (41/4)
Screenplay: Ira Sachs and Mauricio Zacharias, Little Men (47/5)
Scene: T-bone diner, Hell or High Water (32/3)



HISTORY:

Lanthimos placed 3rd in 2010 for Dogtooth.

Hawkes is a prior Skandie winner, for 2010's Best Supporting Actor in Winter's Bone; he also placed 10th in Supporting for Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011). Everyone else is new, as are Sachs and Zacharias (in their third consecutive collaboration, following Keep the Lights On and Love Is Strange).

Early in the year, I thought Malick might finally have made a film that would fail to place (after To the Wonder surprised me by not just placing but landing in the top 10). I was right, but the film in question was Voyage of Time (which barely got released, really), not Knight of Cups, which managed to scare up just enough enthusiasts—including one voter for whom it's last year's very best film—to squeak in.

7 comments:

Atli Sig said...

I already put this in another comment for the last post on this site but since I doubt anyone is checking that out I´m reposting it here, slightly adjusted in light of today´s #20 which did not appear on my first prediction. Anyway, my prediction for the Skandies top 19 of 2017.

1. MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
2. TONI ERDMANN
3. PATERSON
4. CAMERAPERSON
5. LA LA LAND
6. EVERYBODY WANT SOME!!
7. SILENCE
8. THE HANDMAIDEN
9. MOONLIGHT
10. THE WITCH
11. RIGHT NOW WRONG THEN
12. MY GOLDEN DAYS
13. 20TH CENTURY WOMEN
14. THINGS TO COME
15. CEMETERY OF SPLENDOR
16. CERTAIN WOMEN
17. O.J. MADE IN AMERICA
18. ELLE
19. JACKIE

Theo said...

I'll be amazed if CAMERAPERSON makes the Top 10, personally; don't know anyone except me who loves it.

Really thought Mr. Creepy would do better, but oh well.

md'a said...

I'll be amazed if CAMERAPERSON makes the Top 10, personally; don't know anyone except me who loves it.

Meet Victor. And Scott. And Doug. And that's just the people I can think of offhand who have it at #1 for the year.

Bjorn Olson said...

OJ is definitely going top 5, presuming everyone considers it eligible.

Bjorn Olson said...

OJ is definitely going top 5, presuming everyone considers it eligible.

Atli Sig said...

Don´t count on it. It´s very likely to go higher than I´m expecting it to but not really that many people have it in their top 10, that I´ve seen. And also not nearly everyone has seen it, I think. I don´t expect it to crack the top 10.

dd said...

Pleased to see some other Rima Te Wiata fans in the house. Didn't take that one for granted.