15 February 2008

Skandies: #1



Picture: There Will Be Blood (347/27)
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood (397/26) [second nomination]
Actress: Carice van Houten, Black Book (312/21)
Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood (519/30) [second nomination]
S. Actor: Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men (340/25)
S. Actress: Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone (355/25)
Screenplay: Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood (309/23)
Scene: Han River attack, The Host (185/15)

[Because I can't do subtitles, here's the English-dubbed version, which is only marginally distracting because it's almost entirely background chatter.]



HISTORY:

As director, Anderson previously placed 7th for Boogie Nights (1997), 4th for Magnolia (1999), and 8th for Punch-Drunk Love (2002). His only miss to date is his debut, Hard Eight. As screenwriter, he's fared just a bit less well, coming in 11th for both Boogie Nights and Magnolia and 15th for Punch-Drunk Love.

Day-Lewis won Supporting Actor (yes, Supporting Actor) in 2002 for Gangs of New York. Bardem placed 17th in the lead category for Before Night Falls in 2000. Van Houten and Ryan are both new.

Finally, congratulations to the two Beat MuseMalade participants who did, in fact, beat MuseMalade. The top scores:

Paul Clark: 88 points
Matt Noller: 79 points
Ryan "MuseMalade" Wu: 74 points

Mr. Clark predicted the Best Actor lineup with 100% accuracy, and was in fact the only contestant to correctly guess that Sam Rockwell would be among the nominees. Mr. Noller precisely nailed Best Picture, and was the only one to anticipate Grindhouse's unexpectedly high rank. Good job buds.

11 comments:

Ryan Tracy said...

Well done. I'm especially pleased to see that THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES... and GONE BABY GONE, my numbers 1 and 2 respectively, placed so high on the list. Can't say I agree with the inclusion of GRINDHOUSE or ATONEMENT, two of the most self-satisfied films of the year, but to each his and her own.

Nice work in singling out Carice van Houten for her sexy-sly performance in BLACK BOOK. Still, I slightly prefer Amy Adams' ingenuous optimist to van Houten: only slightly because toplessness goes a long way.

One of my other favorites of the year, Jodie Foster, didn't make the cut at all. Granted, THE BRAVE ONE wasn't great, but Jodie was amazing! Were we not impressed?

Ryan said...

Dammit!

Anonymous said...

Still, I slightly prefer Amy Adams' ingenuous optimist to van Houten: only slightly because toplessness goes a long way.

???

Van Houten appears topless several times in BLACK BOOK

md'a said...

I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying, since I'd be surprised if Amy Adams doffs her shirt in Enchanted. He preferred Adams only slightly because Van Houten was topless so much.

Anonymous said...

dohhhh ....

I was also thinking he was referring to Amy Ryan in GONE BABY GONE. (True fact: When I was putting together my shortlist, I typed in "Amy Adams, GONE BABY GONE")

md'a said...

She doesn't go topless either, but at least I can see how someone might misremember that.

Anonymous said...

BTW ... my apologies to the oft-topless Carice Van Houten for not seeing her quite excellent movie until earlier this week and thus not throwing all the points she deserved (probably a top 5 slot on my ballot -- not that she needed it, but still.)

Honestly, the win for Van Houten's performance is why the Skandies are a far better awards/poll than any other. We remember early-year films, don't discriminate (much) against foreign films, and remember genre pics. Van Houten had no hope with, e.g., AMPAS, because she appeared in a Dutch film that was released in March. (The highbrows also probably looked down on Verhoeven and BLACK BOOK's multiple genre trappings.)

Paul C. said...

I think I would have enjoyed ENCHANTED quite a bit more had Amy Adams gone topless. Might not have flown with the majority of the audience I saw it with, although the dads who tagged along would have appreciated it.

Also, I'm a little surprised I did so well. Nice to see that many of the voters shared my love for Rockwell's performance- had I been among the voters, he would've been my top pick in the category.

Anonymous said...

On the day for Victor to take back stuff ...

Forget what I said about highbrows looking down on BLACK BOOK. The Indiewire poll had the film at #11 and Van Houten's performance at #4 in a unisex poll of leads (she would have been #2 among the 4 MONTHS is a 2008 film for the Skandies).

Early money on Marinca to win next year ... I don't think Vegas would even offer a line.

Anonymous said...

On the day for Victor to take back stuff ...

Forget what I said about highbrows looking down on BLACK BOOK. The Indiewire poll had the film at #11 and Van Houten's performance at #4 in a unisex poll of leads (she would have been #2 among the women, since Anamaria Marinca of 4 MONTHS is a 2008 performance for the Skandies).

Early money on Marinca to win next year ... I don't think Vegas would even offer a line.


Mike ... please delete my previous comment and this line. Stupidly trying to think two things at once during work hours.

Matt Noller said...

I think I would enjoy every movie quite a bit more if Amy Adams went topless in it.

I too was surprised at my score, especially considering that within the three days after I submitted the ballot I lost like half of my predictions.